Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Notes from my trip to Arani

I had the opportunity to accompany two social development researchers and a social anthropologist on a day trip to the town of Arani. Arani is located about 40 km from Vellore and has emerged as a significant area for silk weaving over the past 10 years. Unlike the smaller community of weavers at Kanchipuram, Arani was quick to adapt to the Dharmavaram style of Sari weaving, which caters to the middle class. The weaving community of Arani is largely made up of Senguntha Mudaliars. I had the opportunity to visit the homes of weavers and traders in the area. I promised them that I would be back, and I certainly do have to plan a trip back there so that I have more time to spend talking to the weavers and traders that I met.

During my time there, I tried to pay close attention to the visual influences of the surroundings, given my new focus on visual culture. I saw many details that intrigued me- I could not photograph them all- but I did get many ideas as to the visual style and form of my outcome. I made some sketches towards this that I will scan and put up very soon.

Visual Influences of the surroundings- Hand lettering on signage; Packaging, (Cloth bag repurposed for use at the loom and otherwise.) Advertising (Calendars, almanacs placed beside the loom)

It was amazing for me to the see the process of weaving such an intricate and beautiful object. I found myself quite transfixed a few times, just watching. The weaver has to take so many things into account all at once. It is mind numbingly difficult.

No comments: